Meidokan ruins

Updated: 2021年6月16日(Wed)

Center of Fukui city History/Culture

A clan school built in 1855 by the Fukui feudal lord Matsudaira Yoshinaga with the aim of raising human beings who can carry Japan on their backs. In January 1857, Sanai Hashimoto was appointed as the principal of the school, and the reform of the Meidokan began. Sanai Hashimoto created a cram school for children and a martial arts practice place in four places under Fukui Castle, and merged all the dojos in the domain into the Meidokan. In addition, a law school was newly established to promote the widespread learning of excellent Western studies.

MAP